Monday 29 October 2012

CASHMERE...HOW DO YOU WASH YOUR CASHMERE CROCHET?


I treated myself to some cones of 100% Cashmere from Colourmart on Monday, new chunky weight and very expensive, but I felt I deserved a treat.
I will be totally honest here Colourmart are oiled yarns and I crocheted the cowl before washing, I have string softer, but I had made and washed a granny square before I started the cowl and I know that washing is essential to make these beautiful yarns bloom
before washing granny square samples...
A granny square after hand washing 
see how fluffy and soft it looks now
My Ripple Cowl is in the washer now on a 30degree wash with ordinary washing liquid and it will go in the dryer after
pop back tomorrow to see the finished cowl with button fastening.
HAVE FUN X

COLOURMARTS WASHING ADVICE:

In general the advice for washing the oiled yarns is:
In general the advice for washing the oiled yarns is as below. Note we recommend washing the yarn AFTER knitting, so you will also need to try washing a swatch before knitting to see the effect on gauge..
  • use as hot water as you can
  • use something that removes oil, like detergent, not soap
  • you may have to use the detergent more than once to get out all the oil
  • rinse in water about the same temperature, and ideally use hair conditioner in the rinse
  • either dry by rubbing with towels or on low heat in a tumble dryer with a towel or similar. The dryer will immediatly get you to fully bloomed and fully shrunk state, the towel rubbing will get you most of the way the first time
PLEASE DON'T WASH NORMAL CASHMERE THIS WAY, THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR OILED CASHMERE ONLY

11 comments:

  1. I've never heard of oiled yarns. I suppose I'm still relatively new to the whole yarn world. :) What is the benefit of being oiled? And apart from the stiffness you mentioned does it feel greasy or oily to work with? It certainly looks fantastic once washed.
    xXx Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. easier for machines to use and no doesn't feel oily at all just a woolly smell may be x

      Delete
  2. This is really interesting, I have never used an oil based yarn, I love the befoe and after photos. Lovely color choices for your new yarn.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, pure yarns are always beautiful subtle colours.
      hugs x

      Delete
  3. Have to chime in too about oiled yarns. I know that some yarns have that 'woolly' smell of lanolin. Is this what they mean by oiled?

    It does look brilliant when washed though. Such a fluffy texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not necessarily oiled if they have a slight smell but oiled yarns do have a certain perfume lol
      hugs x

      Delete
  4. I sure wish I could buy yarn by the big cone like that. Gorgeous! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couloumart post all over the world, some of their best customers are from USA.
      Hugs x

      Delete
  5. I'd never heard of oiled yarns before! Interesting to read about the different treatments you have to give them to make them their most gorgeous and soft fluffiness! Have a great day! How are those moss stitch cushions coming on? Looking forward to seeing your ripple cowl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love how they change when they come out of the wash and are dried.
      Slow very slow, I keep finding new stuff to play with lol
      hugs x

      Delete
  6. Catch up later with replies...off to a CHRISTMAS FAYRE...Already late LOL
    hugs to all xx

    ReplyDelete