Monday 4 November 2013

The problem with crochet.......

Seems all the sitting around crocheting has been so much fun and I love it but it's not doing my weight any good at all.
 
So I have invested a few pennies in a very basic manual tread mill.
 
Went for cheap as I've bought exercise machinery before and not used it.....
 
and cheap to run...Sue Power, lol.
 
It folds up so not a huge space required.
 
At the moment it is set up in front of the TV.
 
I am working very slowly up to doing 15/20 minutes on most days to drop a couple of stones, going
VERY VERY SLOWLY....a couple of minutes of running and walking, all on quite a steep incline was all I could manage the first go.
I've read a lot and i wont be over doing it to start with but
it always surprises me as how quickly you can improve even for a couch crocheter like me.
 
I cant' stop eating so more moving was necessary, leave the dent in the sofa for a few minutes a day.
The first day I only manage 1/2 mile in several tiny sessions.
The second day I managed 1mile in about 3 sessions
I  wonder what today will bring?
 
Any tips on running on a treadmill warmly welcomed....and i do know it would be better outside but i know I wouldn't do that, at 61 if  I am going to make an ass of myself.
I will do it in private so a treadmill was the best option for me.
 
Funny though..I am quite enjoying it so far.....early days hey?

14 comments:

  1. Good luck with your treadmill goals Sue! I know what you mean about crochet being essentially sedentary - the only snag with it! I am a great believer in the little and often approach towards exercise as otherwise I find I can't keep it up but you may be more disciplined than me! E x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I will need it I like my dent hehe
      Got to keep it fun
      Hugs x

      Delete
  2. Walk. Just wear regular clothing and count your steps. Your ultimate goal is to reach 10,000 steps, but you can take as long as you want to get there. 10,000 steps is approx. 5 miles. I started in April, and worked up to it by July. The weight just melts off, and your bottom gets tighter and your jeans fit. My sister has lost over 23 pounds just from walking. And nobody looks at you and laughs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I'll stay in doors for the winter and may be I'll go out side when I can runn longer and not gasp for breath after a few minutes lol
      Managing 5 so far..teeny tiny improvement
      Hugs x

      Delete
  3. Good for you Sue! I know exactly where you are coming from, I did do zumba but got bored with it and now I know I really should make the effort to do something. Good luck with it can't wait to see how you get on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi...tried it all over the years a serial couch potato I think lol
      But I have got to do something so may be a treadmill will be IT lol
      Thanks
      Hugs x

      Delete
  4. Good job on the walking.. I am on a swimming regimen.. 3 times a week, and I've lost 50 lbs!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Teresa...well done you. Still trying here for now....lol
      Hugs x

      Delete
  5. Seriously ladies... the weight fell off without changing your diet? I did not think that this was possible. Increased cardio fitness, strength yes but major weight loss.. I thought that only possible by reducing calorie intake. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, yes. Move more and use up calories there are charts to tell you how much exercise to do to loose a lb a week
      Hugs x

      Delete
    2. hI Gert..i've added a link to a site with a chart of walking to loose weight might be helpful, good info on the site to read
      Hugs x

      Delete
  6. I am with you. My joints are getting achy as well. I also sit all day and type at my job. I have sometimes used the treadmill at work on lunch and have mastered multi tasking there. Crocheting while on the treadmill. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi..I thought that too, but this is a manually one and very very hard if impossible to let go while you are on it...if I use it lots and it works for me I might invest in an electric one that I can let go with lol for now it's hold on tight lol
      Hugs x

      Delete
  7. Good to read about what you are doing! I have a basic treadmill as well. Tips: Get good shoes to do your walking. Do some stretching (google search for stretching before a jog) before you start walking. Have some non-fizzy water nearby in case you feel thirsty. Listen to music with a good beat when you walk, makes it so much easier! Wear temperature-appropriate running cloth - no need to buy stuff, a T-shirt and some gym pants are fine ! When you are done, add 10 more steps or so if you can to extend your running distance.

    ReplyDelete