Thursday 8 November 2012

CROCHET: I Love Moss Stitch

One of my absolutely favourite stitches
PATTERN HOW TOO:
US Terms in black, UK Terms in brackets in red

NOTES: Moss stitch has a tendency to tighten up a little so please i know no one likes doing a tension sample but with this stitch its a good idea...or just use a bigger hook size than you normally would especially when adding moss stitch as a border to a throw.
Adding Moss st, as a border to a throw then you don't need the base chain and sc row.

Base chain as long as you need, an even number of stitches plus one if you are working it with a turn each end.
Working in the round then an even number of stitches only.

Base ch.
Row 1: sc [dc], in every st. turn
Row 2: ch2, sc [dc], in first st, ch1, miss a st, sc [dc], ch1, miss a st, sc [dc], in next st, ch1,miss a st, repeat to end of row.

Row 3: Turn ch2, sc [dc], in the chain space, ch 1, sc [dc], in the next ch sp repeat to end of row, finish with a sc.
Row 4 +: Cont. with rows 1 and 2 

PATTERN AND COLOUR
The tweed look: use a different colour for each row



Vertical Stripes:work with two colours and change colour alternate rows
this picture above is working a double moss stitch 2sc [2dc], and ch2 miss 2sts repeat...

Spots: 2 rows of back ground colour then the next in a colour to give the spots
If worked with a space dyed yarn for the spots, you get a 
very interesting spot effect as above.

Holiday
Good Luck James hope they all behave...cya when we get back 
Splodge and Brupbrup..brothers from the RSPCA,

 Mr T the first stray that arrived one day and decided he liked the service

 and Lettuce who thought it quieter to live with us.

Have a great week everyone
xx

19 comments:

  1. OK.. how do you do the moss stitch? Your color combos are awesome, as usual. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa, just added the how too for you, great way of using up small amounts of stash too
      Hugs x

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Sue! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

      Delete
    3. Hi! I finally came across your site & love it! I'm hoping you can help me with this pattern, as a new crocheter I'm confused. In the basic "How To" at the end of the pattern do I continue with rows 1 & 2, or 2 & 3?? Also to get the Spots, I've worked the base chain, row 1& row 2 in the main color. Do I now switch to the 2nd color, then 2 rows of the main color again? I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me, as I'm really loving the stitch and your scarf is beautiful. Thank you so much! ~Karen

      Delete
    4. Hi Karen, row 1 is the base to work the stitches into so you continue with the pattern rows 2 & 3 both the same just different at the ends where you turn 2rows in main col and then the third row in the 'spot' colour, for stripes: same stitch pattern but change colour every row....hope that helps?

      Delete
    5. I'll give it another try! Instead of the spots being staggered, I was getting a straight stripe, which is not what I'm trying for. Maybe I missed a stitch?? I cast on 35, fingering weight yarn. I'll . Lol! Thank you so much for your help, I'll be in touch if need be. Again, thank you for everything!

      Delete
    6. Hi, thats changing colour every row...stripes, spots its change colour every third row, 2 in background and one for the spot then back to the next 2 in the back ground then one row for the spot...hope it's working for you ? X

      Delete
    7. I'm exhausted tonight but will give it another try. Thank you, again & if you don't mind I'll keep you posted. :-)

      Delete
    8. hI, Please do always interested in how people get on with their crochet, hope you got a good nights sleep too x

      Delete
    9. Thank you, Susan! One quick ?: was I right in casting on 34 + 1, even amount plus 1?

      Delete
    10. Hi Karen, yes any even number plus one if working it back and forth, just an even number if in the round you need the one extra stitch to do the straight rows have fun

      Delete
  2. The Moss Stitch Queen! Do you like your new name?! It looks very effective I have to say! I managed Row 6 of the African Flower Square. Yippee! Your revised pattern is very clear. I'll be tackling that last row tomorrow!
    I had to laugh at all those black cats on the bed! Is it a coincidence that they're all black?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe..thanks Sandra and good luck with the AF.
      Coincidence, the brothers we picked but the other two just appeared.
      Hugs x

      Delete
  3. I have never tried this stitch before - I will definately be giving it a try - thank you for the how to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have four black cats!! They are gorgeous! My sister has one who is black and is called Sooty! I absolutely adore him!! A hug and a squeeze to all four! Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria, thanks they are a bundle of trouble especially at 4 in the morning, for some reason they like to be feed and think i should get up at this silly o'clock every day....no wonder i am tired hey? lol
      Hugs x

      Delete
  5. Hi Sue, I love your spots pattern. I am planning on making a baby blanket using this pattern, and was wondering if you have any recommendations for reducing the number of ends that need to be woven in. Do you normally work with 2 balls of each colour and bring the yarn up as you go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi i always carry the yarn forward if possible. Thanks xx

      Delete