Tuesday 30 June 2015

Cotton Doilly...and an old design i guess?



Over twelve months ago I started a very similar motif...that seems to have become very popular just lately. 
It was from a small badly stained white cotton motif I found and believe was one of my Mums bits of crochet
It is made in a very fine cotton and guessing about a 2mm/2.5mm hook 
and measures point to point about 7"

My version, or my Mums version has a few more rows and more chain stitches at the out edge from the chart below that i found on Google

I've tried to copy my Mums motif as best I can.

But I've used Wendy Supreme DK and a 4mm hook so mine are considerably larger approx.  10.5/11" and I've made two shawl collars from 4 motifs

still to add an edging i think....WIP

I HAVE REMOVED THE CHART AS IT WAS
FROM JAN EATONS BOOK I BOUGHT IT TO CHECK....
AND IT SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN PUBLISHED 
ON THE INTERNET OR CLAIMED AS SOMEONE ELES DESIGN
VERY ANNOYING TO ANY DESIGNER/AUTHOR

Doing a bit of research I found this chart above and several very similar versions on google all claiming it was their design.....the earliest I found was from 2007.


 In Jan Eaton's book..The Encyclopaedia of Crochet Techniques 

I have looked at this book in the Library but I don't own a copy...well not yet, it should be delivered tomorrow I hope so i will see what the pattern says.

My guess is its and old design that has been copied modified etc. as my Mum never designed anything herself but copied patterns she liked


I've also played around with adding a flower and leaves in the middle all in Wendy Supreme Cotton

7 comments:

  1. How fun is that collar.. it would really brighten up a plain top! I'm sure that most crochet patterns have been done before! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa, you are probably right there not much is totally new these days..they are fun just enough cover as a night gets colder to keep your shoulders warm without yards and yards of shawl you have to keep fiddling with and of course to add decorating to a plain top or drees...lots of fun thanks xx

      Delete
  2. Thanks Sue, I was just going to ask you if there was a pattern! I'll check out the book at my library. Keep cool in this heat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nana, im not planning a pattern for this one...lots of versions from vintage to modern day versions out there some free some to buy and Jans book too it's a great pattern and easy to do variations with making one in Wendy Celeste with sequins in at the moment
      Have fun and love to see what you make with it xx

      Delete
  3. I like the turquoise version with the flower and leaves in the centre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who thanks Sandra, that one is totally mine and yes that's what I thought, bought the book to double check and it is Jans diagram...on a site saying it was theirs along with several others using Jans pattern....is it me or is it a free for all on the Internet, copy and be damed? X

      Delete
  4. P.S. For those interested, the pattern for the above-mentioned book is on page 85 under the title of Classic Hexagon. For experienced hookers, who can read charts, the one you include above looks like Jan Eaton's from her book!

    ReplyDelete