Wednesday 29 March 2017


From this to this in a week and half and 4 actual days work...

4 DAYS OF ACTUAL BUILDING WORK: Fully working 2 cleared rooms.

ATER DAY ONE : Wednesday 22th March, plumber in for an hour to remove the radiator, builder removes ceiling

UNFORTUNATLEY uncovering serious water damage under our en suite, total removal needed of floor and joists...onto insurance

AFTER DAY 2: Thursday 23rd March, Walls removed:

asj's in place

DAY 3: Monday 27TH March,Electrician for couple of hours to sort the spaghetti of cables out, Insurance arrives to assess damage, steel arrives, holes cut in lounge wall to allow steel to be fitted, then hoisted into place.

DAY 4: March 28th Rsj secured and holes bricked up again. Insurance agrees it needs total removal.

acro's removed

clean up, builders have been great at tidying up after them selves
inspection done by Mr T. 
Couple of days free now, still no electricity in kitchen and my work room...only one socket and 
one light and an extension fror fridge/freezer and boiler.

NEXT: All quotes to the Insurance, then to start on the complete removal of the en suite in the far corner, including floor and joists due to water damage.

I've impressed myself by being extremely organised....becoming an expert of rsj's, pad stones, splicing joists...I've researching, phoned, arranged and got things sorted quite quickly.

Just need for all the trades to turn up when we need them here and in the correct order....quite interesting learning the sequence of jobs and what trades are needed for the next job, just hope none of them let us down.

Sunday 26 March 2017

KITCHEN REMODEL...and a bit of a night mare found

A couple of weeks ago i decided to go for a relatively simple removal of a wall and double doors to a second wall in my kitchen, a day to remove the ceiling a day to remove the wall...straight forward and all ok. 

What it uncovered was a dangerous night mare, our builder stood back shaking his head so i knew something was amiss...his team had found several slow leaks not visible from the kitchen ceiling before it was removed, rotten joists holding up our en suite, a floor you could poke your fingers through and very damp mouldy area and with the ceiling down the smell of mould and damp hit you . 

But....even worse when on the complete removed of the wall on the second day, we found dangerous wiring, live wires buried in plaster, no earths to lights and the wrong things on the wrong cables and circuit mixed together......ended up with no electricity, no boiler, no internet, nothing, emergency Electrician called and plumber, so we have a couple of working sockets and a boiler allowing us to use one bath  in the house until the insurance video team can get here Monday morning...

A few pictures...ITS GOING TO BE FABULOUS ONCE ITS DONE!!! Sorry I'm not around much but you can now see why....we can't move in the rest of the house for pilled up boxes of things and furniture from the kitchen and dining room.

Before the wall removal...

 box with a box...always said i would like it all knocked out into one big room....

2 Days later, no electricity no boiler and living in a dusty mess.....

 Mouldy rotten joists...the builder suggested we didn't enter the en suite above!! Insurance company called 

 rusting the extension we bought the house with the extension done..

it's going to be a fabulous family kitchen/diner when its finished.... just not been quite such a simple job after all....but glad we found all the problems and will be able to put them all right soon....we hope