Sunday 17 April 2011

Diagonal Crochet Cushion...16,472 Rainbow stitches later...

I was making the 24" cushion covers and as l plopped it down it just sort of fell into a square although l had made it as a straight cushion afterwards i found that some made pot holders the same way

MAKING A CUSHION BAG

1st...l wanted a cushion with no ends and minimal sewing together when finished
So l did a long chain then dc down one side of the chain PLUS one stitch EXTRA at the end then, back up the other side and add another dc the other end,  sl st to complete the round.

24" CUSHION BAG PATTERN
I made my 24" cushions using 2 strands of DK and a 6mm hook,
Chunky and a 6mm hook.
Aran and a 5mm hook.  
For my tension l did a Ch50, you lose 2 chain with the first dc [tr], as you turn and work into the 3rd ch from the hook as the first dc, 
but gain them back with the extra 2 st increase one each end.

If using acrylic then try to keep your stitches quite tight adjust without size and the yarn will stretch a bit and be too big for your cushion pad after some use.
50sts and 39 rows
Straight forward and easy, you keep going until you have a bag big enough to fit the cushion
Adjust this number of sts, for your size of cushion and keep the stitches as tight as possible.

Add a Button band
Sew together 2" each side of the open end and add a crocheted button band of sc [dc], to fill the remaining space but 6 rows.
Add 4 or 5  buttons to the band which sits inside the opening and use the stitches as button holes


Diagonal cushion bag
On dropping the bag, it fell into a square a couple of times accidentaly, so the next one l made was made exactly the same way but with enough stitches to make the diagonal length of an 18" cushion
for me that was 60sts..using 2 strands of DK and a 6mm hook
but you only need to do 21 rows fold the sides in and it makes a square
hey presto a 
DIAGONAL CUSHION MADE ON THE STRIAGHT
looks like this until you do the folded sides
open it out and fold the diagonal sides into the centre and this is what you have...
keep going until it meets easily in the centre...
 don't stretch it to fit it must be flat and easily meet.
When you are happy with the fit sew up a couple of inches each end of the opening and add a button band in the same way as for the straight cushion bag

this is what it looks like half done, a quick and easy diagonal cushion bag
Try using hdc [htr], instead,  another great stitch for cushions

Have fun 

11 comments:

  1. Love love LOVE! How did you know that I have (okay only one square) a cushion in desperate need of covering! This is so sweet! Thank you so much for this clever little design. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful !!!!

    Lovely greetings
    Marjo

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the years I've been crocheting I have never made a cushion..never really wanted to until seeing yours the other day. Fabulous! As soon as I complete a few of my many WIP I will be making a few of these! Of course, I don't have that lovely orange sofa to sit them on..kinda takes the fun out of it..hahaha..Thanks :) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Suz, I remember doing hot pads this way, now I want to do a pillow - you are an inspiration. Do pop over to my blog and see my little granddaughters.. we took them out to dinner last evening. :-)

    Hugs from Oregon, USA -- Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! Thank you! I'm going to make one of these =-) I'm thinking of making some pot holders this way, too, as someone here suggested. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic pattern! One seam! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG wow i would never have thought to make covers this way, just tubes! i cant wait to pick out some yarn now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the instructions, will be giving it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seen these cushions hudreds of time in envy, but I never thought to see if you had a tutorial. AAAAAHHHOOOWEEEE <-- thats my happy scream that goes with my happy dance. I want to make this for my daughter's room!!!

    ReplyDelete